Thursday, April 16, 2009

MSM: The good, the bad and the ugly

Conservatives love to gripe about the "mainstream media." I'm one of them, I'll admit it. And yet sometimes the media gets it right. Conservatives would do themselves a huge favor if they would simply acknowledge it when it happens.

The problem is some are better than others. Which paper do you read? Which TV station do you watch? Well, all of them, of course! That is, if you're a news junkie like me!

For everybody else, who doesn't have the time or desire to watch news 24/7 but who want the unfiltered truth, I thought I'd put together my own list of MSM in Kansas: the good, the bad and the ugly.

Today, let's take a look at one of the good ones. I'll call the "good ones" green light sources...

Kansas Liberty - MSM? Liberty? Yes, I know, Kansas Liberty isn't exactly the first news source that would pop into your head when the phrase "mainstream media" is brought up. In fact I think of it as the anti-MSM. But there's several reasons why I'm going to lump them in here.

Liberty is a subscription news service with nothing but original reporting, and an ever expanding readership. I've seen many Liberty articles appear in my many Google Searches. And honestly, unless we begin to view sources like Kansas Liberty as mainstream, how can we expect anyone else to view them as mainstream?

So even though they don't have a print edition, I'm going to classify them as MSM.

Why the green light? Well, if you read anything there, it becomes apparent instantly. Original reporting. Stories no one else will tell. The whole truth, not the half truth Kansans are so used to getting. The list goes on.

Next up, a pair of papers, the Hutchinson News and the Manhattan Mercury. What's your prediction? Green, yellow or red light?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My god- you aren't actually retarded, are you? Kansas Liberty is as "fair and factual" as Fox New is "fair and balanced." It's rightist publication, exactly as unbiased as Kansas Jackass- and, you know what? Their reports admit it!